Saturday, September 16, 2006

Peanut burrito

Last week, the day before the One that works and I left town for a little anniversary vacation, Peanut ate one of my pain pills. Yep, right there in Home Depot, while sitting in the cart less than two feet from me, he managed to get into my purse and get the "child proof" cap off and pop it into his chubby little cheeks. He immediately spit the chewed up remnants out and said he did not like this particular "tic tac". Long story short, my very calm self became hysterical after talking to Poison Control and being sent directly to the nearest ER. We walk in the door to the hospital and they come directly to us and ask if I'm Peanut's mom (I wanted to hide at this point). Apparently, the kind Poison control man decided to call ahead for me, how nice. Anyway, they whisk us to a room, hook Peanut up to all kinds of machines and proceed explain to him that their going to make him into a burrito! Now Peanut, who's feeling just fine and loving the attention, thinks this is a great idea. For those of you who are more attentive moms than I, a "burrito" is a way of wrapping a child up in a sheet so you can perform procedures on them while they scream hysterically for their mommy to save them (can you hear my heart breaking!). Peanut survives the "burrito" only to get a dose of "special" chocolate milk. I don't know how he fell for this one, the liquid charcoal is black, thick and smells nothing like chocolate, but down it goes and he even manages asks for more through those black stained lips! (Maybe I forgot to feed him lunch??) In the end Peanut is just fine, blood tests show he probably spit most of the pill out and apparently ate no others. I bring him home and put him to bed, worried about all the potential nightmare material I've just inflicted on my child.

A week has passed and whew... no mention of the traumatic event, that is until today. I'm lying on the couch; Peanut comes over and says, "let's play burrito". "Burrito" I say, "what's that?" "Here mom, we wrap you up all tight, ok, I'm taking your blood now, good mommy, here's your chocolate milk and stickers". "This is a fun game huh Mommy"..... Thank goodness for selective memory!

3 Comments:

At September 16, 2006 at 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! I have no idea how to become a blogger. I'm just becoming proficient at e-mail! What an ordeal you've had. Do you play "burrito" often, now? We haven't had quite that experience, yet. I'm glad Peanut is doing well; and you, too!

From the beautiful and talented (hee hee) cousin!-littlefiddler

 
At September 16, 2006 at 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute little Peanut, he is so good for you! I'm excited to hear about all the stories that I am missing way too often! I can't wait for more! ALoha...

 
At September 17, 2006 at 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a histerical story! I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. It is not helping me to be discreet in an internet cafe where I already stick out like a sore thumb!
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home