
The one that works and I recently celebrated our 4-year anniversary. This is usually an unremarkable day that passes like any other. We've never really felt the need to go out of our way to celebrate. (I know he soooo lucked out with me!) This year with a little encouragement from his sister (thanks Jen) he got me flowers and a card. I love them and I am still enjoying them to this day. We also decided to take a little vacation without the kids! Thanks to our very willing and capable mothers we flew to California with complete confidence that our children would be alive and well when we returned. What a difference it makes to travel without kids. Our usual travels begin with the heaviest bags in the world, (I want to travel with as few bags as possible and therefore stuff them to zipper bursting capacity!) We then have to haul both car seats, a stroller, bags and our two boys to the airport unload, check, entertain the boys, board the flight (praying it's not full, we still fly standby with SWA) entertain some more. I don't even travel with a book anymore, all entertainment energies are directed towards not driving, whatever poor soul had the unfortunate luck to sit next to us, crazy! Destination reached, the whole thing begins again in reverse, exit the flight, pick up the bags, load up the rental car with the car seats, (This is usually the worst part of traveling, you parents know what I'm talking about, getting the car seats in while holding the kids and the luggage the whole time praying that cheap economy car will be big enough, I swear sometimes it takes an hour!) bags and stroller and finally both boys. You can see why we don't find traveling with our children especially enjoyable. At this point I would like to throw out a special "thank you" to my sisters who have both recently gotten married in the furthest locations they could find. Nothing like a 7-hour drive to Las Vegas, red eye flight to Hawaii that lasts 6 hours, shuttle bus through Mexico and a jeep ride in a tropical rainstorm with a 2 year old and a nursing baby...thanks girls! Anyway back on track, the one that works and I had a leisurely flight where I got to drink my
own orange juice and read my book (could it get any better!) The flight flew by and before we knew it we were in L.A. After grabbing our
one bag, (yes, I said one, and a small one at that!) we jetted off to our tiny rental car and hopped right in and off we went. The one who works and I had a wonderful vacation; we got to eat whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. We got to sleep in (or not if we felt like it). We got to ride all the big rides and shop leisurely in the stores. We also got to miss our boys. It was nice. Sometimes our lives are so focused around our children; we forget to focus on each other. I guess maybe that’s why we have anniversaries. In the future I think we'll take advantage of those anniversaries and those willing grandmas and get away more often.
3 Comments:
I could not be more jealous. Congrats on the four years. The one trip we took for an anniversary was our first one. The only one where no kids were involved.
Sounds like a great time. I can't even imagine a couple days not worrying about what the kids are doing. It's nice you have grandmas close by. Seriously, I could not be more jealous.
Hey Mel!
First of all, you write so well. What a talent!
I am jealous of your vacation....Phil and I haven't even had our honeymoon yet, oh but wait, am I suppose to say that our entire marriage has been a honeymoon? A marriage full of travel, thanks to the United States Navy.
I love your little blog, keep it up. Take care!
LaNell
Well, let's just say that your sister in law is excited to have you as part of the family. I can't imagine life without you and the boys! I'm glad you had a good anniversary.
Post a Comment
<< Home