Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Moab Thanksgiving

Sorry for the late blog, we've been very busy. To say we've been partying hard would be an understatement. The last two weeks have been a whorl wind; with some kind of get together planned for every night. We even decided to top off the big holiday weekend with a gigantic jeep trip to Moab. We've really had this in the works for the last year or so, and since Danny requested it, it was done. We had all our friends and family, and even some neighbors. We had a great time.

I have to say we got off to a rocky start, after deciding seating arrangements for the drive to Moab, my sister Nicki and I ended up in the mini van with our 5 little boys. By the first stop I wanted to pull my hair out. Some how Nicki's husband, my husband and my sister and her husband from Hawaii ended up in my nice comfy kid free jeep Cherokee. Oh sure they had to pull Beau's big jeep but I'm pretty sure none of them were listening to screaming and yells of "he's touching me" for FIVE hours! Anyway, we made it and the condo's my mom arranged were amazing. Plenty of room for all of us and they were nice and big since we'd be hosting Thanksgiving for 45 people. Now those who really know me know I hate 4 wheeling. I'm not really sure how I ended up in this family but I go and make the best of it, avoiding scary, dangerous, cliff hanging trails that I tend to walk most of anyway because I'm too scared to ride anymore. The highlight of my trip was a nice fast ride on my dad's four-wheeler down a great sandy wash. I loved it and drove really fast with my hair flying, pretending I was just as tough as the rest of them (unfortunately, I don't think I really fooled anybody).

Peanut had a great time playing with his cousins, and every day we were there told me "so and so" was his new best friend! Peanut's highlight of the trip was probably being buried in the sand. He loved it. I did not. Can you imagine the crevices I had to wash red sand out of? Enough said.

I did not fully realize how much fun he was having until I came home to wash his little jeans only to find the pockets full of tiny red rocks, bits of broken tail lights, scraps of rubber and colored glass (there's a lot of souvenirs left when 200 jeeps smash their way up the rocks).

The one that works especially enjoyed when I finally let him take our jeep on a trail. Ok, so it was only that sandy riverbed wash but he enjoyed it to the fullest, I'm still cleaning red dirt out of the seats.

We got some amazing pictures and had a great time. And some how I even managed to rearrange the seating for the drive home, I'm sure Nicki could concentrate much better without Walnut screaming his little guts out for hours at a time (he's getting a new tooth). I certainly wasn’t the traditional Thanksgiving but what is thanksgiving other than a time to get together with family and eat way too much. I guess this year a Moab Thanksgiving was just what we needed.

2 Comments:

At December 1, 2006 at 9:19 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Sounds like tons of fun. If there's one thing your family does well, it's have a good time. With lots of food. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and that everyone came home safe and sound. Those jeepin' trips can be scary!

 
At December 9, 2006 at 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie...I love your blog!! I want you to know I have it on my favorites and visit it often. I love reading up on your cute little family! You guys are darling! I love little Peanut and Walnut...and of course "the one who works"....Ha! But..I think I love you the most. I'll let you know when the babe comes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home