Sunday, November 05, 2006

Freezer meal overload

A couple of weeks ago I went to a relief society enrichment activity at my mom's ward. My favorite class (other than the "Death by Chocolate" class which was amazing by the way) was the freezer meal class. Basically, the woman taught us how to plan a day and prepare 30 meals that can be frozen ahead of time, thawed and then heated up later. There were some really great recipes, all of which had been tested out and considered freezer worthy. Since my parents household will be teeming with returning children, spouses and grandkids in the next couple of weeks, and my mom is now working full time, we thought this would be perfect for her to have a few already prepared meals to feed her hungry brood. So, we picked a day, choose our recipes, shopped for our ingredients and gathered at mom's house to get cooking. Now since Nickole and I have small herd of boys that are quite unhelpful in the kitchen, we coerced mom into watching all five of our boys, while we cooked her meals as well as our own (I have to say, I think we got the much easier job on this one!). We picked seven recipes, and made two of every recipe for each of us, let me explain, that's six lasagnas, six teriyaki chickens, six broccoli chicken rice meals, six taco soups, six ham and potatoes, six Italian chicken gravy meals and six meatloaf and potato dishes. Whew, I'm tired all over again just writing about it. Yep, that’s right we made a total of 42 freezer meals. I have to say it was a great success; my mom has her freezer packed with meals she won't have to prepare this month, so she can better enjoy the return of Danny, and our siblings. And Nickole and I can officially be lazy for the next few weeks and our husbands and kids won't notice. You know with all the preparation it took to get these meals done, you'd think I would have thought about where I'd freeze my 14 dishes. Nope...I guess I'm going shopping for a new freezer on Monday.

2 Comments:

At November 5, 2006 at 11:41 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I was in a freezer meal group for about a year, and it was great! There were six of us, and we did 20 meals each month. But I have to admit, my favorite part about it was just getting together with friends and hanging out all night in the kitchen cooking.

The Man REALLY missed some of my regular meals that couldn't be frozen, but it was just so much easier to pop in a freezer meal, I really stopped any other cooking at all. So we've taken a break (since August), and I'm back in the grocery store and kitchen every night. We may start up again soon. I miss the convenience. (And we saved a TON on our grocery budget, too!)

 
At November 5, 2006 at 1:09 PM, Blogger Mr. & Mrs. Adventure said...

Cant wait to taste all the delicious food!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home