Cake and a song

I don't remember when I started referring to my mom as "grandma" but my guess is shortly after my adorable nephew learned to say it himself when he was about one and a half. Through the years it seems that the title my mom answers to less and less is mom and more and more to grandma. I guess it's fitting, that's what she is, and if you don't believe me ask any one of her 6 grandsons; they think she's the best grandma in the whole world, and we agree. Last Wednesday was grandma's birthday. She's a working grandma now (much to our dismay) so we planned her surprise party during one of her afternoon classes. My sister and I ordered a big cake, got the plates, napkins, forks and packed the minivan with 5 little boys. My brother's wife just happened to be in town visiting her family and willingly joined our party, she brought along her adorable little Bronson (if you've ever seen Billy, just picture a miniature, bald version and that’s little Bronson!). We met at the seminary, and sneaked into the building, well that is to say, we were as sneaky as we could be with 5 little boys aged 3 and under, hauling a gigantic cake! I should say at this point, I did clear all this with the seminary principal ahead of time so he was ready and waiting for us. It went great, she was definitely surprised, and her 35 students were polite and grateful for the chocolate cake.

We sang happy birthday, and took pictures and when our time was up, we gathered all our stuff and said goodbye. Grandma wanted one last thing before we left. She asked my Peanut to sing her a song. Peanut loves to sing and happily shows off his talent whenever we're driving, playing at home or going to bed, but get him in front of a crowd and ask him to do anything.... no way! I don't know what got into him, maybe he just felt like singing that day or maybe he just wanted to make grandma happy. Either way we put him in front of the class standing on the pulpit, and he proceeds to sing, "You are my sunshine" to the entire class! He even sang it loud so everyone could hear. I was so proud and I think Grandma thought it was a great present. Maybe this grandma working thing is not so bad. It makes the times we do get together that much better.


5 Comments:
Ooo..that sounds so fun! I wish I could have been there. I'm tlad that you guys had a happy birthday cake for mom on her birthday. Did she know you were comming? Was she suprised? I cant wait to hear her version of it. Tell "Peanut" that I am proud of him for singing so well.
Love, M
Your mom's teaching seminary? How perfect is that! To this day I talk to my friends and family about what a fabulous person your mom is. I have always looked up to her and wanted to be like her. She is so amazing! What a fun party. That's great that you were able to surprise her. That's not an easy task (even without all the little boys)!!!
All this talking with me is keeping you from writing your blogs. You better get to it.
I love your mom! I'm sure it's a birthday she won't forget. I'm waiting for another blog!
You would think life on a tropical island living in a treehouse, and getting paid to watch whales and dolphins would be as fulfilling, but I really wish I could play with you guys more! I bet Grandma loved it!
Post a Comment
<< Home