Galileo and an apple
Did you know that sometime in the past few weeks the moon was actually closer to the earth than usual? Apparently, the moon looked bigger and brighter than normal. The one that works was explaining all this to me recently, no doubt while I was doing some domestic chore like laundry, dishes or one of my endless tasks of child rearing. I'm sure in my old life I could have appreciated this phenomenon as a amazing scientific anomaly, but up to my neck in children and children related duties, all I could do was look at him incredulously and think "you've got to be kidding me, who has time to think about those things?" I mean when was the last time I had hours to lay on my back and stare at the stars? And who discovered these things anyway...yep a man. Why you ask? Are men that much smarter than women? Do men better understand the complicated equations required to organize the heavens? Are men better at observing the subtle differences in any given situation? I don't think so. I think that Galileo must have had a great wife who handled all the household/children duties so that he could spend a lifetime staring up at the sky. Throughout time, women have been doing what I'm doing, fixing food, raising children, preparing a home, and men have been doing what men do. What is that you say? I'm not really sure. I know what my man does, and I'm grateful for every bit of it. But if you've ever wondered why Sir Isaac Newton had the time to fall asleep under an apple tree only to be revered for the eternities as the person to discover the universal law of gravitation, we can probably thank his mother or wife or whatever woman fed him that day and watched over his children. So as I take care of my own family, which currently happens to be a family of men, I realize that maybe I am changing the world, maybe the cure of cancer lies within my own little boy's mind, maybe someday Peanut will find a way to visit his favorite planet, Saturn. Maybe the one that works will invent a way to lower the toilet seat every time! Whatever, I know my name probably won't go down in the history books for anything, but if my children appear there, just know I was there too, feeding them, teaching them, supporting them, loving them and wishing the very best for all of them.


1 Comments:
What a profound woman you are. As the saying goes, "Behind every great man, there is a great woman."
Post a Comment
<< Home