Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Delayed reunion

If you read my last blog, you know where I'd planned to be today. Unfortunately, my plans went out the window shortly after the day began. It all started last night as I was finishing yesterday's blog. Around midnight, I signed off and crawled into bed, only to be awakened 10 minutes later to the sound of my peanut crying. I went into his room and immediately realized it was going to be a long night. Peanut had the stomach flu. I can't say I was really all that surprised, Walnut had been running a low fever for the past 24 hours so I knew there was some kind of bug going around. For the next 4 hours I held my two year olds head as he heaved and heaved every 30 minutes or so. By 4AM the reality had sunken in that I would not be able to take him to the airport to see his uncle come home, nor would I be able to leave him in this condition to go myself. I thought of all my options but there weren’t many, no one was available to watch him, and the one who works really needed to work a full day with the exception of a quick lunch break to the airport. I was sad but didn’t have the time to dwell on it because I was literally up to my neck in messes. I dug in and by early afternoon, peanut was feeling better, and I was on top of the messes in the house. I decided that with a little luck, I could get to the airport to see Dan come home...I know pretty optimistic of me, but I haven't seen him in two years people! I realized I didn't have much time, only 30 minutes to get the boys and me ready in the car and on my way and the airport is a good hour from my home. I showered, fixed my hair, dressed the boys, packed the baby bag and jumped into the car. Would you believe I had a flat tire? Yep, I know, I couldn’t believe it either; after all I'm on a really tight schedule here. I pump up the tire with my little cigarette lighter air compressor I have for such emergencies, all the while praying it will fill the darn tire faster. I take advantage of the wait to finish dressing the boys, and brush my teeth, right there in the driveway! I'm still without my makeup when the tire finally finishes filling, but I figure I've got at least 3 good, long red lights ahead of me before I hit the freeway (I don't wear that much makeup anyway). We're on our way, but running a little late. After a quick check on the flight arrival I get my first break of the day, Dan's flight is delayed at least 10 minutes, YES! I'm flying down the freeway with my sickly little boys, applying the last of my mascara (yes, I WAS one of those women today) when I hear a pop, a bad pop. It was my tire, it blew out, aghhhh. THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING! All I want to do is see my brother at the airport is that too much to ask? Apparently so. I pull over safely and begin to cry off all that carefully applied mascara I just risked my life to put on. I called the one who works and tearfully explained my situation. He'd just arrived at the airport, but immediately turned around to come and save me. I have to pause here a moment to say, my dad did teach me how to change a tire and I probably could have done it under any other circumstances, but I was on my last nerve, and was functioning on less than 3 hours of sleep and had sick children in the car. All I could think of was how did I get myself into this position. After about 20 minutes a nice policeman stopped and told me he'd change my tire. I told him my husband was on his way but it would be a little while before he could get here; He said he'd have it changed in 5 minutes and he did, I could have kissed him. Back in the car again and on my way, I meet up with the one who works at a gas station at the next exit to decide what do from there. My mom calls, "Dan's flight is delayed another 20 minutes", really? I could still make it, just barely. Just as the thought crosses my mind, poor little Peanut, who'd been quietly sleeping until that exact moment, throws up all over everything within projectile range. That was it, I gave up. I cleaned up my poor little guy the best I could and with my tail tucked between my legs drove myself home, knowing that I was just not meant to be at the airport today. Just before I reached my house, my brother Dan called, he had arrived safely and someone had told him of my plight. Dan said he was good and so happy to be home, that he understood why I couldn’t be there but that I'd see him in a day or two. I drove the rest of the way home feeling better. I'm glad Dan's home, and I can't wait to see him. Hopefully the kids will be recovered in a day or two and we can get that reunion we missed today.

3 Comments:

At November 9, 2006 at 1:28 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I'm so sorry! That's just awful. It's a bummer you missed Danny at the airport, but I'm more sorry about the throw up in the car. That takes FOREVER to get the smell out. Oh, how I feel your pain!

Hope the boys get better quickly. That flu is terrible.

 
At November 9, 2006 at 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. What a horrible time for all of you. I'm so sorry to hear about Peanut being ill. Give him kisses from his aunt.

 
At November 12, 2006 at 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mel, I'm really enjoying your blogs. Heidi read this one aloud last Wednesday at your moms. Although we all felt really bad for you we enjoyed a good laugh! Raising kids is not an easy job! I still feel that way and my "babies" are 24. Keep writing! You should publish a book...Hones! Aunt Carolyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home