Friday, December 15, 2006

Billy-Bob tooth


Ok, for those of you out there with the unlikely name of "Billy-Bob" I'd like to apologize up front. It's actually a very dignified name, a version of which I seriously considered when naming my first child; after all, what could possibly go wrong with the name William Robert? Both names are family names and it really does sound dignified, so how did my little Peanut end up with a name so far from this one? Well, we can blame a certain Grandma for this one. Like all the other names we thought up for our children we tended to try them out while the poor kid was still in-utero. Like "my goodness Fred is really kicking today" or "I guess little Ralph does not like Mexican food!” It was as simple as that, I'm sure I exclaimed something like "William Robert has got a bad case of hick-ups", when Grandma, said she thought little "Billy-Bob" was a great name. Instantly the name was ruined for me, no longer dignified in my eyes, we instantly abandoned it for something else we thought sounded classy (like Peanut).

Anyway back to my story, last month when my little Walnut finally got his first top tooth, I was thrilled. My boys cut teeth very late and so I'm always thrilled when each little pearly white pops through. Unfortunately, Walnut only got one tooth; I was sure the situation would rectify itself soon enough, so I sat back and was patient. Every day that one little tooth would move further and further in, making the big empty space next to it very obvious. As the weeks passed and still no tooth, every crooked smile from my chubby little baby would remind me of the long ago discarded name of Billy-Bob, thus the "Billy-Bob tooth” was born. For a while it was cute, but after a short time I began to check daily for that other tooth that was by now, obviously missing from his little mouth. After a month I began to silently worry that he'd never get that tooth, maybe he somehow didn’t grow one; maybe he wouldn’t ever grow one? As fears of sending my toothless child off to college plagued me in my sleep, a wonderful thing happened, last night the missing tooth appeared. This morning Walnut's wonderful smile is accompanied by a new barely there, slice of a tooth. I don't care, in a few short days; the Billy-Bob tooth will be no more. Today, the funny little lop sided smile makes me laugh again, so I thought I'd better capture it on film, since I know it's day's are numbered. Bye bye Billy-Bob tooth!

3 Comments:

At December 16, 2006 at 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture of walnut with his little teeth, big chubby cheeks and those slits for eyes is priceless! Maui Girl

 
At December 17, 2006 at 11:07 AM, Blogger Kim said...

So cute! I love how funny they look as their teeth finally come in. We always called our kids' "lone tooth" a tic-tac.

 
At December 18, 2006 at 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! I'm so glad to hear he finally is getting more teeth! Congrats Walnut!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home