Introducing Blanket
++-+February+05.jpg)
I would like to introduce you to Blanket. Blanket belongs to Walnut, we gave him this seemingly, harmless fleece blanket late last summer, shortly after he moved out of his crib and into his big boy bed. Unfortunately, Blanket has taken a life on, all it's own. At first we only used Blanket at home when Walnut was in his bed.
This is Walnut's first night in a big boy bed, I guess he needed both Peanut and Blanket.
Blanket at my brothers wedding reception (how embarrassing!)
Blanket enjoying story time
Blanket visiting Aunt J and Uncle R's house
A rare sighting of Blanket with someone other than Walnut (It didn’t last, the second Walnut spotted Sweetie in Blanket, he pulled her right off the couch in an attempt to free Blanket from her evil clutches!)
Blanket and Walnut having naptime in the chair
Blanket enjoying the Super bowl party.At home we have a rule that Blanket is not allowed downstairs, but Walnut has nearly gotten around this. He sets Blanket on the bottom stair and repeatedly checks on it throughout the day. Here Peanut is posing with Blanket
++-+February+05.jpg)
As you can see, I think it's getting out of hand...at this point Blanket has to come everywhere with us. We even take it to church because Walnut screams his head off if we don't have it. I guess it comes in handy occasionally, last Sunday in a repeated attempt to get Walnut to nursery we let him keep Blanket. At first he screamed, but after a few minutes I guess he decided to find his happy place, every time I peeked in on him over the next two hours he was huddled in the corner, laying on the floor, completely cocooned in Blanket, he wasn’t crying, just staring out a little opening for his face...now that is the picture I wish I had for you all.
I'm beginning to wonder if Blanket is a substitute mother for Walnut, something soft and unconditionally loving. Do you think I've somehow done something to create this obsession? I hope not, I choose to believe Walnut has so much love to give that for now he's going to share that love with a blanket.


6 Comments:
Love it! I sometimes wish I had a "wubby" you know other than food and lately computer usage. A blanket might be a healthier alternative. Mindi
Oh, can I just say that I COMPLETELY understand! That is, I understand how your little Walnut feels! But just in case you're wondering, no, I don't sleep with mine anymore. I do still have it, but it's been packed away since I got married. So don't you worry about your baby boy. He'll give it up someday ... when his wife tells him "it" is not allowed in bed with her. ;)
You need to read Walnut the children's book "Owen" by Kevin Henkes. Owen has a blanky, too. In the end Owen's mom does an amazing trick so Owen can still take his ragged little blanky everywhere. "It's a good read," my silly 2nd graders would say. Love your blog.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I love this story- I can totally relate to "walnut" I had a blanket "sweetie" like that until I was almost a teenager. I would probably still have it but it got lost at the fireworks in Clifton, Idaho. I remember me & my mom searching for it the next day, and asking people who lived around the park if they had seen it. It was the best blanket, it became a cape and shirt because it got so many holes in it that I could stick my arms through it. I can totally relate to Walnut, I turned out ok- so I am sure he will- even with his fixation.
I think the blanket coordinates well with Walnuts eyes.(Well chosen acessory)! I love that cute kid!! Keep in mind he's not sucking his thumb and eventually he'll give up the blanket when he starts driving!! I think we all have something that gives us comfort. I love my fleece robe when I'm freezing. So let him enjoy his comforting blanket and maybe he won't like it quite as much when the heat wave hits in the summer. Love, Granny R
Post a Comment
<< Home