Friday, December 28, 2007

Roll on

I made these for Christmas Eve dinner at my Aunts house this year. They were a hit. I'd like to claim the recipe but I can't, I found it in a book. I highly recommend them, they are best just out of the oven, with a big lump of butter smothered all over them. I wish I had a picture of them but as you can imagine making two pans of homemade rolls, and getting four kids to the Christmas Eve party on time was enough of a challenge. Enjoy!

Dinner Rolls
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup butter, shorting or margarine
1 egg
5-6 cups all purpose flour

In a large electric mixer bowl, combine water, milk powder, yeast, sugar, salt butter, egg, and 2 cups flour. Mix at medium speed for two minutes. Add 2 cups flour, and again mix at medium speed for two minutes. Add last of flour and mix again for two minutes. Dough will be sticky. Pour dough into a bowl coated with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, turn dough until completely coated in oil. Cover with plastic and allow to raise in warm place until double in size. Sprinkle counter with flour and roll out and cut rolls into desired shape. Place on greased baking pans. Let rise in warm place until rolls are double in size (about 1 hour). Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter while hot. Makes 12-18 rolls.

1 Comments:

At December 29, 2007 at 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the update...I wish I could have helped you eat them! -m

 

Post a Comment

<< Home