Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Inevitable



It was bound to happen someday, anyone who's ever met Peanut would have to agree, it was inevitable, and so, we make our first trip to the ER for stitches. Last Friday, The One Who Works was working late, and I was on kid duty all day long, by 6:30PM I was at the end of my rope and desperately needed a break. I threw the boys into the tub and frantically picked up my cluttered house while both babies screamed in the background. I was in the midst of wrestling a wet Walnut into his PJ's when Peanut decided to attempt one of his legendary triple-dive-twist-somersault off his bed. He landed somewhere between his new computer desk and a hard little chair, obviously the landing needs a little work, the result....blood everywhere! Now I'm a calm person, and blood is usually no big deal, but I have to say that moment between seeing all that blood and seeing the actual cut itself filled me with anxiety. Actually, it wasn't that bad, once cleaned up, I reveled a small one inch cut above his eye, but I could see it would probably need stitches. I lay him in his bed and show him how to keep pressure on his cut, while I ponder my options...I have a hungry Walnut, half dressed, rummaging through the pantry for dinner, two screaming babies, both in need of nursing and diaper changes and as for myself, I haven't showered and I'm still in my filthy sweats from cleaning, no way I was going to drag all of us to the ER in that condition. Instead, I call the One Who Works, "you've got to come home now!" I say, he doesn't even question, just hops in the car and begins the hour drive home. At this point, Peanut's quite content to lay in his bed holding his little washcloth over his eye, Walnut has found some bread to curb his hunger and I've started nursing the twins, all is quiet. I know he's feeling better when he requests a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and asks me to call his Aunt in Hawaii and tell her about his hurt eye...I guess he wasn't getting enough sympathy from me. I didn't give him many details about his impending trip to the ER, instead I told him about the "magic" glue the doctors have that fixes broken skin. So when the time came, he left willingly with his dad, excited to see the magic glue.

Today Peanut's healing nicely, in fact unless he's looking in a mirror he's completely oblivious to the swollen, dark purple eye he's sporting around, and thanks to that "magic" glue, other than a small scar above his eye he'll be good as new!

4 Comments:

At October 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last picture is priceless... We're going to see that picture again when his is a big movie star. What a cool kid! M

 
At October 10, 2007 at 7:26 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Those pictures are adorable! Funny how he actually has a bit of a smile in the one where he's holding the cloth over his war wound. Hee hee. What a character!

 
At October 10, 2007 at 10:44 PM, Blogger Tristie hearts Dax said...

LOVE the pic of him with the glue on his wound. Darling expression! Way to go, mom. You made it another day!

 
At October 12, 2007 at 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - and to think you made it this long without an ER visit! I'm impressed!!! He looks great! and what a brave little trooper. How do you do it all?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home