Thou shalt not...
It's Sunday, and as I reflect on my day I am reminded of the ten commandments that review a litany of things one should not do. I think I'm OK today, I definitely got number one down, Thou shalt have no other gods before me, no problem here unless you count my worship of the chocolate bar, which I don't think really counts because it's less like "worship" and more like an insatiable addiction! I'm good on number two also, Thou shalt not make unto me any graven image, I can't remember the last time I made anything creative, I think I made dinner one night last week but I hardly think it was up to "graven image" quality. I've never had a problem with number four, Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain, I do occasionally use some other choice four letter words (remember my "crap" incident with Peanut at church last year?) but as for the commandment itself, I take serious offence when others around me break it. Number five is a bit of a problem for me, especially today, Remember the sabbath day and keep it holy, I tried to go to church today but, in fact I actually got there with all four of my children minus The One Who Works, he was working, but Walnut would not cooperate, he hates nursery. Now I'm only one body and I have only two arms, and if you can add correctly you'll find I have three babies, the numbers are just not on my side, so we left half way through the Sunday school lesson. Number 5, Honor thy Father and thy Mother, check, if I turn out anything like either one of them, I'll consider my life successful. I do remember number six, Thou shalt not kill, this one I don't have any problem with, unless you count the twenty or so fire bugs that have snuck under my front door to to find warmth this weekend, I'm not sorry to say they found no such thing, only a fly swatter and a watery burial down the toilet. Commandment number seven, Thou shalt not commit adultery, OK, sometimes things things look good from the outside but after conferring with my girlfriends I've been assured all husbands have the same annoying little habits, they all have various problems finding a laundry basket or drinking directly from containers in the fridge, but overall I'm pretty sure I have the best husband around so definitely no problem with number seven here. Commandments eight and nine Thou shalt not steal and Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. I've always had a terrible fear of getting caught doing anything wrong, thus stealing has never been attractive to me, and as for neighbors, the few I do know are wonderful and helpful and kind to my children, I'd be sick if I offended even one of them in any way. Lastly, number 10 Thou shalt not covet, I have to confess I looked this one up in the dictionary, it says to wish for earnestly or to desire, in this definition I'm guilty, there are a lot of things I wish for and even more that I desire, but as for the commandment I think they were actually alluding to the third definition, to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another, I don't think my wishes or desires go this far, I certainly hope not, because overall I'm doing pretty good this Sunday with the Ten Commandments.


1 Comments:
ok, that fact that you made it to church at all is Amazing. If you were on time, I will fall off of my computer chair. way to go mom!
Post a Comment
<< Home