Thursday, June 11, 2009

Flat Foods

I will never be a great cook, however I was surprised to find shortly after I got married that I liked to cook very much, although I rarely had the time. Four kids later, I have even less time but since everybody has to eat every few hours or so, I get a lot of opportunity to throw something together quick. With all this rain we've been getting, we've had to find ways to entertain ourselves inside, last night after dinner we made cookies, my kids had so much fun helping, something I have to force myself to allow them to do.


I hate messes in every form, and as you can tell from my last post, I've cleaned up more than my share lately. I reasoned that this was an activity for them and the "making" was half the fun, so dig in they did. They poured, sifted, stirred and dumped flour all over.
In the end the cookies tasted great but were mostly big, deformed piles of crumbs, My kids ate them up! This morning I had better luck, I decided to try my hand at whole wheat pancakes, mostly because I was completely out of my regular pancake mix and because I have a cousin who make the most fabulous whole wheat pancakes from scratch, I felt inspired. I threw everything that I could remember of her recipe in the bowl, eggs, whole wheat flour (that I ground myself, I might add) sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, oil. I didn't measure, but I'm a pretty good guesser, they turned out GREAT!



Healthy and edible, Jack ate four, giant pancakes, in fact everybody ate well, I consider that a success, that gives me four full hours to think of something to fix for lunch!

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a women!!Those pancakes must have been delicious. Cute pictures of the kids! Maybe it was good that they didn't know how nutritious they were(ground wheat flour.) Sometimes the messiest projects are the most enjoyable.
xxoo G.R.

 
At June 29, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Blogger Tristie hearts Dax said...

aaah, drooling over the whole wheat pancakes. and laughing about your kids huddled around the bowl with a little Spidey underwear peeking out of someones pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home