Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fun in the Sun

Summer is here. No doubt about it...it's hot. My usual summer routine is to close all the blinds, crank up the A/C and hide inside all day in my underwear, but for some reason my kids don't enjoy the self imposed lock down as much as I do; so for their sakes I occasionally partake of those hot, sweltering, summer rituals. Yesterday I took everybody swimming. I don't know how I thought I was going to get much swimming in while holding four kids who can't swim and are, for the most part, terrified of the water. I guess the thought of diving into that cool blue water had me mesmerized. After slathering every square inch of baby skin with 50 SPF sunscreen...quite the task in and of its self, "we" moved towards the water. "We" is actually me holding two babies, dragging a terrified 2 year old, trying to restrain an overly eager 4 year old with nothing better than .99 cent water wings to protect his precious little life, while praying my swimsuit doesn't ride up any more, because I don't have a free hand to retrieve it. They cried for the first half hour, by the second half hour we made it off the steps and into the water. I felt bad for little Walnut, I think he would have benefited if his mother could have played with him a little in the water, but as it was my arms were full, so mostly he just played on the stairs too scared to trust in the life jacket he had on. Peanut had a wonderful time, he was in heaven splashing, jumping, swimming. I did my best to watch him, but he very quickly put all his faith into those cheap floaties, needless to say, we now owe his life to a pair of .99 cent water wings. I did manage to take a couple of quick dips myself, so refreshing, but after a few hours we were officially water logged.

I dragged all the kids out, and proceed to change three baby bums from their swimmer diapers back to regular diapers, no one wants a mess in a swimmer diaper, they hold NOTHING! By the time I got everybody strapped into their car seats, they were hungry and tired. I stopped at McDonald's and got chicken nuggets and fries for the crew. Ten minutes later they were all asleep, with chicken nuggets LITERALLY hanging out of their mouths. I drove home and proceeded to make four trips from the hot car upstairs carrying sleeping kids. I was exhausted and sweating profusely. I laid down on the floor by the A/C vent and fell asleep ignoring completely that swimsuit wedgie, praying tomorrow I can just stay home instead.

8 Comments:

At June 24, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Blogger HeRoosSheRoos said...

Oh my goodness, you have me laughing so hard! You did such a good job describing the situation that I feel like I was there with you. That's when you need to be an octopus and have eight arms-one specifically to get the wedgies out,

 
At June 24, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Be thankful. You could have four kids who don't know how to swim and who AREN'T afraid of the water. Your time at the pool would then be spent jumping in and out of the water, saving their little lives, until you run out of breath and decide it's not worth it and go home, vowing to never take them swimming again ... unless you bring three other adults with you.

By the way, your backyard is UNREAL!!! What a beautiful design. I would also spend my days out there enjoying it. Did TOWW do the waterfall by himself? It looks gorgeous! My dad once attempted one, and it turned out so -- well, ugly. I'm very impressed!

 
At June 24, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Blogger Lifes Great Adventures said...

Just hearing your story makes me tired! You go girl- you don't let anything stop you- thats my kind of girl.
Destiny

 
At June 24, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a remarkable woman you are and brave and unselfish(deciding your wedgie would have to remain unmoved ) to insure the safety of the kids. How cute are the kids!! Those 99cent water wings were a good investment. Wish I could have been there to help and share in the fun!! Love,G.R.

 
At June 25, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Blogger ThatsBaloney said...

Next time bring reinforcements! Mine were never scared of the water so I had to jump in fully clothed a few times to save lives.
You are a brave girl taking 4 non-swimmers to a pool! I didn't go without help until my oldest could safely swim on his own.
Wish you had a picture of the chicken nuggets. That is funny!

 
At June 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Blogger Grandma Jalene said...

You deserve a Mommy Purple Heart

 
At June 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Blogger Cori said...

Ok this is the funniest bog I have read in a long time, I was literally laughing out loud. You are a trooper for sure :)

 
At July 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Blogger Kartchners said...

I think I just peed a little bit while reading your blog. Hilarious. It is cool to see what the Allen clan has been up to. Does Robyn have a blog?(This is Fat Head)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home