The Sunday Freeze
The first Sunday of the new year is always a struggle. Between the church time change, and the scramble to find new classrooms it's work and that doesn't even take into account that I had to squeeze into my tight fitting skirt after a holiday of over indulging in every way. Anyway, I got up early 7AM to be exact, I gathered as many church outfits for the kids as I could find, it's always a chore to find something for Grey, he's growing like a weed and needs a new size every few months. I packed the church bag and fed everybody breakfast, I hope they all digested OK, I yelled "hurry and eat" at regular intervals. Despite not feeling well, at all, Jeramie hopped into the shower and took the two oldest in with him while I dressed the twins as fast as I could. I got Jack out first and dried him off and told him to dress himself, while I grabbed James. It was a race to see who could get their tie on the fastest, I think James won.....but don't tell Jack, I think he thinks he did. 10 minutes till church starts and I'm running a brush through my hair for the first time in two days, applying mascara as I run out the door. 5 minutes till church starts and we're jumping into the van, we actually skip buckling up because we can't afford the time to unbuckle everybody at church 3 blocks down the road. 1 minute till church starts and we park in the first available parking spot and grab the kids and run to the nearest door.....it is COLD, FREEZING actually! I should mention we skipped coats, I hate caring coats all through church, but I'm seriously rethinking that at this point. We rush into the doors and drag all four kids to the nearest available seat, which happen to be on the 4th row. Just as we sit, the Bishop stands to welcome everybody to church. Whew! We made it in the nick of time. Just then Jeramie leans over and says "I think we're in the wrong ward". What? I quickly look down at that program clutched in my hand, some stranger handed me as we rushed in and sure enough we are definitely in the wrong ward! I ponder my options for about 5 seconds and then grab the two kids nearest me and tell Jer "let's go" We rush out making as much of a scene as we did going in. In the foyer we stand confused, we're sure our ward was switching to the 9AM schedule, and I'm sure this is still our building having attended the primary "meet your new teacher" breakfast here the morning before. What could we do, we dragged the kids back out into the freezing cold and headed for the car. Jack at this point started to cry, he was looking forward to his new primary class. We all came home and I started calling my neighbors, I finally got a hold of someone who told me that there had been a little change, our ward does switch to the early schedule but not until January 18th. Aghh, I am seriously frustrated at this point, after all we're all in our church clothes and our meetings don't start for another two hours....do you know how much dirt 4 kids can get on church clothes in two hours? Long story short, we made it back to church at 11AM, mostly clean, Jack got to attend his new class and despite having some last minute jitters about not having his old teacher, enjoys being a CTR very much. James, Greyson and Addison all went to nursery together and for the most part survived, as for me I did hear about 30 minutes of the RS lesson, uninterrupted for the first time in years....it was almost worth it.


8 Comments:
oh. I read this with my heart pounding and head nodding because we did the same thing, except fortunately, we realized our mistake before we got out the door. We stayed in our church clothes and headed out 2 hours later. All that stress and hurry for NOTHING! ARRGG!
Oh boy - I hate the Sunday morning rush. Isn't it supposed to be a more peaceful day? Even with just my 2 it becomes a major challenge!
We've been too late for the 9am service before and went to breakfast before the 11:00 service.
The boys show up with food on their clothes, but oh well... those are some of my favorite Sunday mornings. :)
Oh man! I thought the same thing, said something to the McNeelys and was corrected. Thanking them profusely because I would have been SO mad to rush that early for nothing. I am SO not a morning person and 9AM is gonna kill me! I can barely make 11 with all my kids!! lol
Wow!! That sounds a little frustrating. So sorry :( maybe I don't want twins...
I hear ya! Truthfully I would have never gone back - you are a good woman. It was FREEZING that day!!!I want to have a family get together sometime soon- maybe a rockband party of somesort.
I love your blog... I laugh so hard every time I read it. I'm glad I'm not the only crazy mom at church.
Oh I feel your fustration. All that hard work and hurrying to find you were ain the wrong ward. If nothing else you should feel great satisfaction that you met your goal of being there on time.I did that alot of years ago when the kids were very young. I stayed for the meeting. Since they were too young for primary I wasn't pressured into staying for the rest of the meetings. ( What you won't do for your child when they are excited about church and want to go to thir class. (Wouldn't it be wonderful if they were that excited as they get older??) You guys are great for actually perservering and going to your ward at 11:00. My admiration goes to you for being caring parents. Love, G.R.
So funny! I also found out at the last minute(well Sat night). Where have we been?:)Mornings aren't fun at our house when momma is on a time frame any earlier than 10. We made it by the skin of our teeth most Sunday's. Ok just to make you feel better....we forgot the time change one year and headed to church an hour early. How come those are the only times you are not running behind? Keep up the good work!!
Post a Comment
<< Home