Thursday, April 05, 2007

My quest to be covered

So as I'm progressing in this pregnancy, I find that I'm growing quite a belly, combine that with a very long torso and I'm growing out of my maternity shirts at an accelerated pace. I've looked for cute shirts at the stores, but continually find ugly, short, or to get a size to fit my tummy, way to big for the rest of me shirts. I have a plan, I can sew. Now I know the days of sewing your own clothes are way gone, but really what option do I have? Well I guess I could go with that mu mu I almost bought at the mall the other day, it fit fine, but looked a little too much like something my grandmother would wear, so on the rack it stayed. Anyway back to sewing, I head to the fabric store with my little boys in tow. I find some great stretchy fabric and proceed the the line for cutting...it's long, I take a number. Number called, I hand over my carefully chosen fabric and begin debating how much I'm going to need. One yard? Two yards? The nice cutting lady asks me what I'm planning to make. A maternity shirt I tell her, "well you shouldn't need much, you look nearly done to me. Why make a maternity shirt at this point anyway?" "Actually" I tell the lady, "I'm only six months pregnant, I'm not due until July." At this point I'd like to interject that in the future I'll be lying to all strangers I meet, it will save me time, embarrassment and the humiliating looks of pity! Prompted by the look of horror on her face I try to help her understand my situation by saying that I'm having 2 babies and still have a ways to grow. She yells "TWINS?" Why is it that this simple word attracts so much attention? I'm suddenly bombarded with questions from all sides (remember the cutting counter is quite crowded with customers waiting to be helped) "Do twins run in your family?" "Did you conceive them naturally?" "How much bigger do you think you'll get?" "Do you know what they are?" At that point someone notices my other little nuts, sitting quietly in the cart next to me. "Are these yours?" "How old are they?" I respond, and again get that look of horror. "You're baby's only 14 months old and you're having two more?" "You're going to have 4 children 3 years old and younger?" Finally the conversation turns as it always does, "I'm so glad I don't have twins" or " I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" or my personal favorite "my aunt's brother in law's wife was pregnant with twins once and the most awful thing happened...." I always stop listening at this point, I can think of enough things to worry about with my twin pregnancy without getting help from others. I try to smile and nicely answers their questions, but mostly want to just forget the fabric and run from the store. Needless to say I got my fabric, my new shirts fit great, and I finally have something to wear without my tummy poking out, but even so I'm not sure it was worth it. Well one thing I can tell you is, yes, I'm probably going to get a lot bigger. Yes, I am going to have 4 kids 3 and under. Yes, they are all going to be mine, I wouldn't give one up for anything. And no, I wouldn't wish this on your worst enemy either, I'd only wish this on my best friend, sister, or anyone else I think deserves this wonderful experience!

6 Comments:

At April 5, 2007 at 9:57 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Way to look on the bright side! You are so blessed. And yes, it's going to be hard, but I know you'll do great. Your babies are all very lucky to have you as their mother.

 
At April 6, 2007 at 3:30 PM, Blogger Mr. & Mrs. Adventure said...

As your sister, and one of the ones you would wish this upon...let me just say that I appreciate the thought...but would prefer to start with just ONE and see how that goes! :) I am, however, thrilled to be an auntie to your big brood of little ones! p.s. You look really pretty in the picture. Is that one of your home-make shirts?

 
At April 9, 2007 at 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look fabulous!!! I really do plan on coming up there just as soon as I can get this cough gone. I'm sorry you are getting the reactions that you are getting. I'm impressed that with keeping up with all of your nuts (big one included)you still have time to sew! Impressive!!! Hope to see you soon.

 
At April 10, 2007 at 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Mel, You actually make me laugh out loud over and over reading your blog! You have a real gift for making the everyday events hilarious!!! I am so excited to see you, your brood and the clan as soon as I get back from my trip. I will keep you posted through email. I hope you're all well! Miss you! NicBrown

 
At April 15, 2007 at 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jeramie (via your wife's blog)! This is a voice from your past. Thanks to Jennie and Rick's website, I was able to link to your wife's blog and see family photos. You and your family look wonderfully happy and content. How could you be otherwise with a wife who has such a terrific sense of humor?!
I stayed with seminary for 17 years (11 as EM teacher and 6 as stake supervisor). I even took care of Shon's four while he and Jen attended a seminary overnighter in Dallas. (He lives in Austin supervising seminary there and working on his doctorate.) My husband and I moved to Burleson and both of us teach SS. After working in France for almost 8 months, Kate's now in Austin at UT for 2 years getting a certificate to teach French. She and Blake (both single) are sharing a duplex. Loving best wishes, Sister Hunter

 
At April 17, 2007 at 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie, you make me laugh! Way to go. I didn't know you were a sewer, but sometimes it is necessary isn't it? This is the first time I checked your blog. I should have known that Jeramie would have new pictures posted already. Way to go....both of you. Where did the little tuxcedo come from for Jackson? His grandparents??
Also, I'm trying to update my genealaogy on Jennie and Rick. I need Rick's full name and birthdate, & place. Also don't have exact birthday for Jameson and where he was born. Can you get that for me? Thanks.
Aunt Marilyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home