Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3000 MPG

"The bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon" ~Bill Strickland
In the little city where we live there are numerous bike trails, they have spent millions of dollars creating and improving riding paths all over the city, even the park right behind our house attaches to the county wide trail system, so there is no excuse (now that the snow is gone) not to get out there and ride.

We recently bought a second bike trailer, because despite our best attempts to cram three kids in the two seats, we were just plain unsuccessful. We tried it several times but our rides always ended with Sweetie on the floor of the bike trailer, crying, after Walnut dropped her....again. Now TOWW (The One Who Works) and I both pull a trailer behind our bikes, if it's going to be a short ride we let Peanut ride his own bike, but if we decide to take to the trails he hops in the trailer and rides with one of us. We have so much fun, I personally LOVE to ride, and feel so free peddling along, the wind blowing in my hair. The kids enjoy it too, and seem to be happy and secure in their little trailers. Last weekend we packed everybody up and rode all the way to the brand new trail underpass they just installed under the road, unfortunately it's not completed and therefore not paved, but we just had to see, so we pushed our bikes/trailers all the way. On the way back we immediately realized why it's best to stay on paved trails, both TOWW and I had flat tires on our trailers. We did have a hand pump with us and tried pumping the tires up, but they flattened within two or three minutes, aaagh. Our solution, TOWW pumped up my trailer tire and I'd take off riding as fast as I could back in the direction of home, TOWW would do the same thing for himself and by the time my tire was flat again I'd just stop and wait for him to catch up and we'd repeat the whole process again. TOWW is such a good sport, we must have stopped and pumped up tires at least four or five times each. Finally we made it home, next time we'll be riding with patches and spare tire tubes! Certainly with gas prices rising the way they are (it was at $3.20 this morning!) I should get my butt on that bike and start peddling...how long would it take to get to Bluffdale anyway?

4 Comments:

At March 26, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Blogger nymanzanita said...

What a fun thing to do as a family.

 
At March 26, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Blogger ThatsBaloney said...

I'm not sure I would have been a good sport about that! Is that Murphy's Law?

 
At March 26, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Blogger HeRoosSheRoos said...

How fun! I am so jealous and would love to be out riding with you and the crew. Maybe when wounds heal and Max fattens up, we can join you.

 
At March 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun way to get excercise and double your cute little family's fun by getting bike trailers. (those are some lucky little ones!) That's frustrating about the tires going flat. I think that was quite a brilliant idea about the alternate tire pumping on the bike trailers. Love, G.R.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home