I'm Late, I'm late....
...for a very important date, no time to say "hello" "goodbye" I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! I try to be on time, but something or someone is always holding me back. It's usually only a few minutes, but even a few minutes can make the difference as to whether or not I have to sneak into sacrament meeting, hauling two babies in bucket seats, a whiny four year old and a two year old dragging his ratty old blanket behind him, not exactly unnoticeable. It's not for lack of preparation, I know for a whole week that church starts at 11am on Sunday, and I prepare. I make sure our church clothes are clean and hanging in the closets, I even find black socks for the kids and tuck them in their church shoes the night before. I unload the baby bag and repack it with suitable church activities and snacks, yet somehow it's never enough. For some reason, I can't get there on time. I have even taken to showering the night before, so all I have to do is fix my hair and put on some makeup (yes, I do wear make-up on occasion). I have always hated this particular nasty habit of those people who are consistently late, strolling in whenever it suits them, oblivious to the fact that the rest of us have been waiting on them. Thus, the reason I'm so horrified to now be categorized with them. I've been trying to make amends, I often sweep into whatever situation I'm late for, begging forgiveness, making excuses and promising to be on time in the future, and what I've learned is...people forgive me, they smile at me as I try to slink into the pew unnoticed, they whisper encouraging words as I pass, they offer to hold babies for me, and hold doors open, and one lovely lady even packs a bag of treats, crayons, and baby toys "just in case" my children happen to be near. Today I'm feeling optimistic, and I think that's the ticket. Fact is, I really am doing my best, and although some days it feels (to me anyway) to fall a little short, I think for now it's enough.


3 Comments:
Better late than never. Good for you for even making the attempt to get the whole family there.
Hey you could be LATE AND have your kids show up looking like they were on their way to the park-Last week after we got to church (late) I noticed Logan's hair was sticking up everywhere and he was wearing tennis shoes and a dirty shirt. At least you look good being late.
I admire you! Us older folks that have grown adult children can identify with you and we do have alot of love and empathy for you. Don't be too hard on yourself. I get alot of joy in seeing these cute young families when they come to church.Keep on going even if it means being late. God definitely understands. Love,G,R.
Post a Comment
<< Home