The Cleanest Lawn
Yesterday afternoon we had a little BBQ in the backyard, it was hot as usual, so in an attempt to keep the children from melting while eating their hot dogs and Cheetos, TOWW put up our shade umbrella. Unfortunately we left in such a hurry to get on to the rest of our day's fun activities, we forgot to put the umbrella down. This morning we awoke to the consequences, our beautiful glass table had shattered into a million little pieces all over our lawn. You see we don't have a patio, so our outdoor furniture sits right on the lawn, we move it around as we need, to mow, or water. Last nights little storm, which proved to be quite ineffective at providing any rain, was quite effective at producing wind, thus knocking over the umbrella, breaking our table. While only slightly upset at the broken table (we actually have a piece of replacement glass in storage already) I was very upset at the millions of tiny pieces of glass all over my beautiful, backyard playground. We spend hours every day running, playing, and sometimes streaking all over that very lawn, the last thing I wanted was cut feet or worse. TOWW and I spent an hour on our hands and knees picking up as much as we could, but we realized very quickly that our efforts were mostly in vain. The table had broken into thousands of tiny little squares, you know the kind a car window does when it shatters? Anyway, after racking our brains we realized we needed to literally vacuum the grass. Unfortunately we don't own a shop vac, a purchase we've been looking into, but haven't actually followed through on yet, but we found we could rent one for 4 hours at the local Home Depot for $22.00. It worked great, TOWW and I spent the next couple of hours again on our hands and knees vacuuming our beautiful backyard lawn. I'm sure the neighbors thought we were crazy, I know our boys did, Walnut kept asking me why I was cleaning the outside now too. So for today at least, I'm pretty sure we've got the greenest, cleanest lawn in the entire neighborhood.


5 Comments:
So.....Is this what sparked the phone call for the wood? I am so sorry that is crappy.
So sorry to hear the backyard play paradise was turned into hazardous zone. So glad you are creative and thought of a solution to make it kid-friendly again. Yes I'll bet your kid thought thought their parents had turned into major cleaning freaks. I love playing in your backyard also. Love, G.R.
I'm glad you and TOWW are now able to go streaking again.
-HeRoos
Normally I would laugh at you ... except that happened to us this summer too!!! Fortunately we do have a patio (and a shop vac), so it was pretty easily cleaned up. And I must know where you got that replacement glass, since we looked EVERYWHERE and no one has any!!! Seriously, it has to come from SOMEWHERE, right??? For now we have an ugly piece of wood that The Man cut and sanded to fit in there, and I've covered it with a tablecloth so no one can see it. Lame.
I am so sorry to hear about your patio furniture. That was a terrible little storm. We have a large Chinese Elm in our backyard. Well 1/3 of it came crashing down to the ground and over the fence to the neighbors yard. Cleaning up that too. Britt will have to post some pictures when she returns from girls camp. Tiff
Post a Comment
<< Home