Monday, July 07, 2008

Our pet Puppy

After months of hearing my little boys scream every time they spotted a spider in the house, I decided I had to do something about it, no one likes a man who's afraid of spiders....or snakes for that matter, nothing emasculates a man faster in my eyes than being squeamish around creepy crawly things. My sister Heidi reminded me about her LOVE of spiders as a child and told me how she got that way. My mom is a lover of letting things live, seriously she would catch and haul every living creature out of our house unharmed. Spiders, bugs, flies whatever, I even remember an occasion once where we didn't cook for a whole week because some giant spider had built a web that hung from the stove hood down to range top. Every morning while eating our cold cereal we got a science lesson first hand, "see how many flies she caught?" "Look how she wraps them all up like little mummy's and saves them for later". Daily I saw the death struggle between some poor little fly and that giant torturer. Needless to say when a huge black jumping spider found it's way into our house one spring, my mom decided she(the spider) could move right in permanently, she named her "Puppy" and my sister Heidi got her first pet. Years later Heidi reminded me that because of this little experiment she overcame her fear and learned to love those creepy little arachnids.
Thus my thinking when last month I spotted a big, black, furry jumping spider on my celling, the boys were screaming and near tears when I decided to let the little guy stay. We named him "Puppy" and after weeks of spotting him all throughout the house, my boys have stopped acting like a couple of whining babies and can now pass within feet of him with nothing other than a passing glance and a quick "hello Puppy".
I do limit the rooms he's allowed in, and have on occasion had to move him, no nursery and not in the boys room at night, but other than that he's got free rein of the house. I prefer him to stay out of the kitchen but have made an exception if he promises to stay on the ceiling. Whew, I guess it worked for now at least my boys are boys again...tough boys!

10 Comments:

At July 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Blogger ThatsBaloney said...

Enjoy your puppy. I seriously thought you had gotten a dog!

 
At July 9, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be happy you don't have to walk , feed or tell puppy to quit barking.Kudoes to your Mom for taking the fear out of Spiders for her kids. I am happy your boys are fearless again!!! Oh I'm hoping that I don't accidentally step on him when I'm visiting. Love, G.R.

 
At July 9, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Not a problem, first Puppy never crawled on the floor, only celings and walls, second, Puppy does not live with us any longer....did you think I'd write this post while he was still with us? Nobody would ever visit us again!

 
At July 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Blogger Brittany said...

EWWW! SCarey!!! I would Pretend to leave it but then have someone kill it and say that he must not have liked our house. I am a big Sissy! At first I thought you ment you got a puppy but then when i started to read I was wondering why you would fix spiders with a dog but...... When I come I will make sure to stay FAR FAR FAR AWAY from him. If there is an itty bitty one I come running out screaming.

 
At July 10, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Blogger HeRoosSheRoos said...

Your mom is one smart lady. Too bad my husband didn't have a "pet" when he was younger...I am the one that takes care of spiders around our house.

 
At July 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Blogger Elle said...

What a brilliant and really fun story! Puppy is actually really beautiful, great photography skills sis! R

 
At July 10, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is icky. I HATE spiders, but my husband happens to be like your mom. Turning every creepy crawly thing into a lesson for the kids. I'm so over the top afraid of those things, that he is bound and determined to make our kids (especially the girls) the exact opposite.

They're usually torn when we find something in the house. They see mom freaking out, and they see dad trying to hold it and catch it and show it to them. Most the time they don't know how to react.

But I never let them keep things IN the house. They're lessons must go immediately outside. You're brave, girl. You're brave.

 
At July 14, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Heidi had a pet daddy-long-leg....M

 
At July 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Blogger Tristie hearts Dax said...

i am SO glad you didn't ACTUALLY get a dog! seems like we had this conversation at the reunion, why would we get slobbery, smelly, poopy creatures when we have kids? love the story. good for you. i just tell my kids to smash the spiders we see.

 
At July 23, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Heidi is my friend, especially in my early years because she taught ME to love bugs! I remember we would fight over who loved flies the most (while everyone else was swatting them). Unfortunately since I've gotten married and have kids I've become more afraid of insects. I'm always surprised to find myself screaming or running away from bugs (kind of sad) because Heidi and I loved and protected them. Your mom is the best! She's so sweet and loving to every living thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home