Priorities
You ever find yourself running in circles, attempting to complete a "to do" list a mile long while some major event is looming? Of course, everyone can relate. Last Saturday was a busy one, we were fortunate enough to inherit a deck...well sort of, it was a couple of years old and actually belonged to friend in a neighboring city. They said we could have the entire thing if we would just dismantle it and haul it away...sounded easy enough. TOWW and I planned on spending a few hours doing just that on this particular Saturday, however in addition we were hosting an extended family BBQ at our house in the afternoon before attending a pool party we'd all be invited to that evening. Now I am a planner, and I'm organized too, so I started cleaning the minute I woke up that morning, scrubbing toilets, vacuuming, washing windows you know the basics. In addition, I needed to make a salad, deviled eggs, lemonade and pack up all the swimming gear we'd need for later. I arranged to borrow a giant trailer to haul the 20 foot boards from the deck and asked my Mom to come up early to watch the kids while we were gone. TOWW's list was just as long as mine, he needed to get the yard ready, waterfall up and running, and the lawn mowed, all in the few short morning hours before we had to go and get this deck, all the while hoping we could load it fast enough to get back in time for our party. I found my self rushing through all my assigned tasks, deviled eggs, feed the twins, scrub the toilets (well only the ones I thought people might use), dress the kids, pack the swimming bag, make a salad, vacuum, I was sweating profusely at this point when I looked out the window to find my husband strolling across the lawn.
+August+02+-+001.jpg)
+August+02+-+002.jpg)
+August+02+-+003.jpg)
Actually he was mowing, however instead of rushing the job as the time we had necessitated, he was walking slowly while Peanut and Walnut "helped". The boys had retreated to the backyard somewhere between the vacuuming and salad making, as the faster I worked, the more I yelled. I think they found it "safer" in the vicinity of the mower and their father. In all the crazy rushing TOWW found the time to include our boys. I think they thought they were helping, but I know for a fact it took twice as long to mow the backyard. Yet in the end, everything got done, the deck was loaded in the nick of time and the party went off without a hitch. But one thing I know for sure, Peanut and Walnut didn't even notice my gleaming toilets but they will always remember that their Dad took the time to include them while he mowed the lawn.


4 Comments:
Dang it. Don't ya hate when that happens... but I can only imagine how amazing your toilet looked. :)
<-stalker via Shar
That is so tender. You two are a great team!! Very ambitious and organized and smart enough to realize sometimes it really is the small little things (kids) that really matter. Love, G.R.
Your backyard is GORGEOUS!!! And I'm totally in the same boat. I'm always the one rushing to get everything done and out of the way. The Man is the one who lets them take 40 min. baths while they play till the water is cold. And they love it.
I'm impressed that you crammed that much in to one day! Glad the potties were clean - otherwise, people would be talking...
Post a Comment
<< Home